Bendigo and Adelaide Bank backs students with more than $600,000 of scholarships
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, in conjunction with its partners - including local Community Banks - has awarded 178 first time students with more than $635,000 in support as part of its 2022 Scholarship Program.
Established in 2007, the initiative has provided more than $11 million to 1,336 students across Australia and is one of the country’s leading, privately funded, scholarship programs.
Now in its 16th year, the Program provides students with the opportunity to access a range of scholarships - up to the value of $5,000 - to help ease the financial burden associated with the transition to tertiary education.
The scholarships - primarily funded by the Bank’s Community Bank network - can be used by recipients to help finance the cost of travel, accommodation, tutoring, course materials or study equipment. These include:
- Bendigo and Adelaide Bank scholarship for regional and rural students: 15 scholarships of $5,000 per student, per year, for two years.
- Bendigo Bank Indigenous scholarship:Four scholarships of $5,000 per student, per year, for two years for those studying at either university or TAFE.
- Rural Bank scholarship:12 scholarships, (including two Indigenous) of $5,000 per student, per year, for two years – students must demonstrate a desire to contribute to the Australian agricultural sector.
- Community Bank scholarships: Variety of scholarships on offer from different Community Banks which focusing on university, TAFE, and secondary school study.
- Alexander and Bridget Jones Montmorency Secondary College Scholarship:Scholarship for two graduates of Montmorency Secondary College studying full-time at The University of Melbourne in 2022.
- Robert Johanson Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Board Scholarship: scholarship of $5,000 per year for two years.
The 2022 program will see recipients study a range of professions including: agriculture, information technology, commerce, architecture, science, education, health, hospitality and engineering.
Sharnie Curnow, Head of Social Purpose, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, said, “How the Bank delivers on its more than 160-year-old purpose to feed into prosperity, not off it, takes many forms including investing in our leaders of the future. Our Scholarship Program is integral to realising this ambition and to addressing the disadvantage some students from regional areas face in attaining further education.
“The Program has grown to become one of the largest privately funded and best targeted scholarship programs in Australia and is an initiative that will continue to nurture significant intellectual capital across the community. I congratulate all our recipients and wish them well in their future educational endeavours,” Ms Curnow concluded.
2022 Robert Johanson Scholarship recipient, Jay Warcon, said, “The financial support provided by this scholarship will greatly assist me in my study of medicine at CQ University. As an Indigenous person of the Darumbal tribe in Central Queensland, my goal is to become one of the first Darumbal doctors and work as a health professional on Darumbal land. By doing this, I believe I can play an important part in helping reduce the health issues impacting Indigenous Australians and lowering the high mortality rate.”
2022 Scholarship recipient, Imogen McGown, said, “I'm really looking forward to moving to Adelaide and learning to become a physical education teacher. I can't wait to start University as I believe moving away from home will allow me to gain more independence and learn more about myself. As a deaf student, I’ve had assistance from School Support Officers throughout my school going years however, I will not have this same level of support at University. I know it will be a steep learning curve but it’s a challenge I’m looking forward to tackling. One day, I hope to return to Port Lincoln to teach and inspire the next generation to embrace sport and physical activity.”
For more information about Bendigo and Adelaide Bank’s Scholarship Program, please visit https://www.bendigobank.com.au/community/scholarships